Be part of a UConn tradition and register your team for OOzeball 2022.
$120 per team
Online registration closes Friday, April 15th at 11:59PM
- Current UConn students, December 2021 graduates, and faculty/staff are allowed to play
- All players will need to have a valid UConn NetID to register
- Players need to present a valid UConn ID and a Spring Weekend wristband at the event
- Your registration fee includes an official OOzeball Wrapped T-Shirt for each player
When registering your team, please be sure to have the following information ready:
- A valid credit card
- Team captains are responsible to manage and invite players to their team following payment
- Six to eight players per team
- All players must be at least 18 years old
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s new for 2022?
Even though we couldn’t host OOzeball for the past two years, we’ve been working on making this campus tradition better than ever!
We recommend you read through the entire FAQ below, but here are a few highlights of recent changes:
- User Friendly Registration and Rostering all in one platform.
- No Captain’s Meeting: Instead of an in-person captain meeting, all teams will be required to complete a a brief Captains Quiz when registering for the event.
- December 2021 Grads: You can play! Students who graduated from UConn in December 2021 are eligible to participate as long as they are part of a UConn student, staff, or faculty team and also meet the other eligibility rules. You will need to bring a photo ID. Participation in the OOzeball Tournament does not provide December graduates with access to other UConn Spring Weekend events; you will not receive a Spring Weekend wristband. You will still need your UConn NetID to complete your OOzeball registration.
- Faculty & Staff: You can play! Get your department involved as a faculty/staff team or as part of a student team.
- Costume Contest: Come dressed to impress! We’ll have a costume contest throughout the day WITH PRIZES on site at the tournament!
Where and how do I register?
Registration opens Friday, March 25, 2022. and closes on Friday, April 15, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (or sooner if it fills up!). You will need a team captain, team name, and credit card to register online. We recommend registering early, as spots are limited and will fill up fast!
OOzeball registration consists of three steps:
1.) Captains must register and pay for your team.
2.) Captains must complete the Captains Quiz to understand tournament rules and structure when registering.
3.) Captains can then invite players to join your team roster. Teams must have at least 6 players registered by 9:00 am Saturday, April 23, 2022.
Who can play?
Any current UConn student with a valid UConn NetID and UConn Student ID is encouraged to play OOzeball. UConn staff and faculty are also welcome to play. Teams must have 6-8 players.
Students who graduated from UConn in December 2021 are eligible to participate. They will need to provide a government-issued photo ID at the event. Participation in the OOzeball Tournament does not provide December graduates or alumni with access to other UConn Spring Weekend events; you will not receive a Spring Weekend wristband. All players will need a UConn NetID to complete your registration.
All players must be 18+ years of age. No exceptions.
How can I pay for OOzeball?
Payment is accepted online via Credit Card Only.
Registration is Non-Refundable
If you can no longer participate, we ask that you and your team work to recruit a replacement player to take your spot. Then you would sort out finances amongst yourselves. Your team can add players as needed. If you require transferring a team captain please contact us.
Why is OOzeball $120 per team?
In order to cover all of our expenses for OOzeball, we have to charge a team fee. You may have 6, 7, or 8 players for that price, which works out to $15 – $20 per player depending on how many teammates you have.
In addition to admittance to this UConn Bucket List Event, your team gets:
- Official OOzeball T-shirt for all members
- Expert "Bracketology" by UConn Rec
- Live results and team rostering via mobile app
- A chance at tournament Grand Prize, Second Prize, and Third Prize
- Free giveaways & goodies
- Bag check
- Mud rinsing and changing station
- Snacks and hydration station
- Photo booth
- Costume Contest
- Mud, Mud, Mud, and MORE MUD!!
A portion of this year’s OOzeball proceeds will be donated to a UConn Foundation fund as voted on by this year’s OOzeball players. As they exit the tournament, all players will be able to submit a vote for which fund should receive those proceeds. Past recipients include The Students First Fund or The Campus Sustainability Fund. At the end of the event, the Student Alumni Association will tally the votes; the fund with the highest number of votes will receive a portion of proceeds, as determined by the Student Alumni Association in its discretion.
What are the rules and regulations?
Please click to read the full list of 2022 OOzeball Rules & Regulations.
Once I register, can I make changes to my team?
Yes! Once your team is registered you may add and drop players up until game time. After that time, team rosters will be locked. Remember to maintain a minimum of 6 players and maximum of 8 players. Players are NOT permitted to play on multiple teams.
How are starting times and court placements determined?
Once team registration is complete, teams are randomly assigned start times. Games begin at 9 a.m. and end by 6 p.m. and are assigned at 15 minute intervals. Court placements are determined in the same manner as starting times. We do not accept requests for teams to play each other; teams are assigned randomly.
Will I have to be there all day?
Plan to win! If your team plays well, most of your games will be within the hour of your starting time. If your team plays really well, you’ll advance and be invited to come back in the afternoon for final rounds. If someone on your team can’t commit to the full day, make sure you have 1-2 alternates that fit meet roster requirements.
Why are there restrictions on team names?
Stay Classy UConn! While we all enjoy your creativity and would love to be able to accept everything you come up with, this one goes beyond us. The winner of OOzeball is published not only in the Daily Campus, but also in many other university publications. Therefore, we screen and approve all names before they are placed on the official bracket. You will be informed after registration if your team name needs adjustment. Also, you will not be allowed to register a team name that has already been chosen. The system will prompt you to choose a new name until one is available.
Is lunch offered during the tournament?
Lunch is not provided, but we have invited outside vendors to provide light refreshments on-site. We encourage you to bring snacks and a water bottle, and we’ll have a hydration station set up to refill water bottles.
What should I bring/wear to OOzeball?
You will need your current UConn student ID, Spring Weekend 2022 wristband, and sneakers. (If you’re a December 2021 graduate, you will need a photo ID.) You may want to consider bringing a change of clothes, a small towel (for drying off after the mandatory rinsing station), and a water bottle. We offer a bag check station and changing areas, and we encourage you to utilize them. We also recommend leaving valuables at home and only bringing what is necessary for admittance into the tournament.
- Spring Weekend Wristbands vs. IDs: To play OOzeball, you need a Spring Weekend wristband AND your UConn Student ID. Why? When you register you electronically sign the tournament waiver, and we need your UConn Student ID to verify that you’re the same person who registered. Spring Weekend wristbands will be available at OOzeball if you need one. Do not try and check in your team unless all of your student players have a Spring Weekend wristband AND UConn Student ID. Anyone missing a wristband or ID will not be allowed to play, and no refunds will be given. The only exception will be for December graduates and alumni.
Are there prizes for winning OOzeball?
The top three teams will receive the Grand Prize, Second Prize, and Third Prize. We will also be randomly handing out spirit prizes/costume prizes to teams and individual players.
Who is this year’s official sponsor?
This year’s official sponsor is:
Who is responsible for injuries and lost/stolen items?
Upon signing your official OOzeball Acknowledgement & Release at time of registration, you agree to the fact that the Student Alumni Association, the UConn Foundation, UConn Recreation, and the University of Connecticut are not responsible for any injuries sustained during the OOzeball Tournament. You also agree to the fact that the Student Alumni Association, the UConn Foundation, UConn Recreation, and the University of Connecticut are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
How do I get involved with the planning of OOzeball?
There are several ways to get involved with the planning of OOzeball! The best way to make sure you’re involved in every aspect of the tournament is to become a member of the Student Alumni Association, as we are the planning committee behind OOzeball. In addition to this, we are looking for volunteers for mud-making on April 22 and the tournament on April 23. If you need community service hours for an organization, mud-making is an excellent way to earn them while having fun. Please contact Hailey Longo if you are interested. Contact UConnSAA@gmail.com