- The mission of University of Connecticut Club Sports Athletic Training is to enhance the quality of health care to the Club Sport Athletes by delivering exceptional care through education and prevention, assessment and evaluation of injury sustained while participating in competitive Club Sport programs.
- Services offered by the Athletic Trainers include:
- Practice, game, and special event medical coverage for home events.
- Injury prevention (taping, padding, bracing, equipment fitting, strength and conditioning consultation).
- Immediate care (care of severe and non-severe acute injuries; emergency care of cardiac conditions; triage to appropriate medical facilities).
- Recognition and evaluation of athletic related injuries
- All questions relating to coverage for a specific team should be referred to the Club Sports office via the team leadership.
- It is expected that all coaches/instructors fully cooperate and comply with all decisions made by the Athletic Training staff regarding eligibility and player safety.
Only cover on campus events in the following priority:
- Participant Registration
- Assumption of Risk, Permission to Treat & Confidentiality Release, Concussion and Injury Disclosure
- Clearance to Play
Any person who participates on or tries out for a club sport team must complete all required forms. Form #1 is found on IMLeagues and is to be filled out and submitted before partaking in any physical activity with the club. Form #2 is a waiver that is electronically signed once each participant joins a club on IMLeagues.
The Clearance to Play form is located on the Student Health Services Website and can be submitted by:
- Scanning and uploading to the Student Health Portal myHealth.uconn.edu
- Dropping-off in-person at the Student Health Services Front Desk or at the Lock Box inside the front door
NOTE: If your team acquires new members before the roster deadline, they also must complete these forms and your roster must be updated accordingly.
Any time an injury occurs at practice, home/away competitions or any other related activity, an Incident Report must be submitted within 24 hours via IMLeagues. This form can be submitted by the injured person, or a team officer (i.e. Safety Officer).
–If Athletic Trainer IS present, they will fill out Incident Report
–If Athletic Trainer is NOT present - Incident Report should be submitted within 24hrs by:
- Club Sports Staff reviews/approves Incident Report
- Athlete will be designated INACTIVE on IMLeagues
- Email will be sent to:
- Injured Athlete
- Athletic Trainers
- Club Sports Coordinator
- Athlete designated ACTIVE after clearance from Athletic Trainer and/or MD
Non-compliance & Discipline
- Verbal Warning
- Suspension for individual athlete
- Loss of facility time for team
Athletic Training Meetings
Meetings will be held in pre-selected groups to discuss policies and procedures as it relates to Athletic Training Coverage for the academic year. All current team members are required to attend. Meeting times will be as follows:
Group #1 – Archery, Cycling, Crew, Running, Triathlon Wednesday Sep. 6th @ 7:30pm Laurel Hall 102
Group #2 – M Rugby, W Rugby, M Soccer, W Soccer Wednesday Sep. 6th @ 8:30pm Laurel Hall 102
Group #3 – Dressage, Equestrian, Polo, Western, Woodsmen Wednesday Sep. 13th @ 7pm Laurel Hall 102
Group #4 – Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Women’s Ice Hockey Monday Sep. 18th @ 7pm Laurel Hall 102
Group #5 – Baseball, Figure Skating, Paintball, Racquetball, Softball, Ski, Skydiving, Taekwondo Monday Sep. 18th @ 8pm Laurel Hall 102
Group #6 – Men’s Ice Hockey, Men’s Lacrosse Tuesday Sep. 19th @ 7pm STRS WW16 (Nursing)
Group #7 – Kickline, Swimming, Tap, Tennis, Water Polo Tuesday Sep. 19th @ 8pm STRS WW16 (Nursing)
Group #8 – Women’s Lacrosse, M Ultimate, W Ultimate Monday Sep. 25th @ 7pm Laurel Hall 102
Group #9 – W Basketball, M Volleyball, W Volleyball Thursday Sep. 28th @ 7pm Laurel Hall 102
First-Aid Kit Retrieval
At the beginning of the year, each club must coordinate with the Club Sports office to sign-out their First-Aid kit. At the end of the year, each club must coordinate with the Club Sports office to return their First-Aid kit.