UConn Recreation Policy Satement
Stated policies cannot account for the potential actions of all participants and in accounting for the possibilities presented therein, UConn Recreation reserves the right to prohibit any activity it deems inappropriate; potentially harmful to fellow patrons, facilities or equipment; or unsafe; and with no advance notice. Participants in facilities, programs or events sponsored by UConn Recreation are expected to adhere to all staff requests made under these circumstances, and failure to comply may result in loss of UConn Recreation privileges or university disciplinary action.
UConn Recreation reserves the right to modify policies and implement new guidelines to protect the safety and well-being of all participants. Patrons are responsible for understanding and adhering to all rules and regulations outlined by UConn Recreation. UConn Recreation reserves the right to take appropriate action to ensure the safety of all participants as well as the security of the facilities and program to mitigate risk. All policies outlined in the University of Connecticut Student Code of Conduct are recognized by UConn Recreation. Questions regarding a specific policy should be directed to a UConn Recreation staff member for clarification.
Facility Access Control/Identification Card
- Participants are required to present a valid UConn OneCard to obtain entrance to the Student Recreation Center, for admission to participate in programs sponsored by UConn Recreation, and to rent equipment from UConn Recreation.
- Misuse of the UConn OneCard to gain entry into UConn Recreation facilities/programs, or to obtain equipment, is prohibited and may result in removal or suspension from UConn Recreation facilities/programs or further University discipline.
- Community members who do not possess a UConn ID will be issued a UConn Recreation Membership Card to allow for facility/program access.
- Students with a Bursar Hold, Immunization Hold, or Recreation Hold will not be permitted access to UConn Recreation facilities/programs.
- All participants must be 18 years or older.
Participation in physical activities/programs inherently includes potential risk of injury. UConn Recreation strives to create a safe environment for all participants. Participation in activities sponsored by or managed through UConn Recreation are voluntary. Participants assume liability for injuries incurred during participation in programs and/or services offered through UConn Recreation.
It is strongly recommended that all participants obtain medical clearance prior to initiating an exercise regimen or engaging in physical activity.
Participants are responsible to determine whether he/she has the proper fitness level to participate in activities sponsored by UConn Recreation.
All participants must read and sign a Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk before participating in UConn Recreation activities and programs.
Use of UConn Recreation facilities and program participation is a privilege. Members, participants and guests shall respect the rights of others and display appropriate behavior while participating in programs offered by UConn Recreation. UConn Recreation reserves the right to refuse access or remove any individual(s) whose behavior is inappropriate, disruptive, or in violation of University policy, UConn Recreation policies and/or the Student Code of Conduct.
UConn Recreation is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of the UConn community. Recreation staff will take appropriate action to eliminate inappropriate or disruptive behavior. Inappropriate or disruptive behavior may result in immediate removal or suspension from UConn Recreation programs as well as additional University discipline. If a participant, member or guest, is directed to leave a facility or program the following outcomes are expected:
- The participant will leave the facility immediately.
- UConn Recreation staff will place a minimum 24- hour suspension on the participant’s ID and
he/she is immediately ineligible for further access to any UConn Recreation program or
- UConn Recreation staff will schedule a meeting with the suspended participant to
determine further outcomes.
UConn Recreation defines inappropriate or disruptive behavior to include the following:
- Use of vulgar, obscene, abusive, or derogatory language.
- Use of profanity or obscene gestures or actions.
- Fighting and/or unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Physical violence including striking, pushing, kicking or hitting another participant.
- Exhibiting abusive behavior, either verbal or physical.
- Displaying overt sexual behavior.
- The possession, use and/or distribution of alcohol or drugs.
- Smoking, vaping and/or use of any tobacco products.
- Entering activity areas that are not open for public use, or entering private offices or restricted areas without permission.
- Damage to or destruction of any property of the University or property of other participants while on University premise.
- Possession of a weapon.
- Posing an unreasonable risk to the health or safety to others.
- Failure to follow established policies.
Group Fitness Attendance Policies
- Please arrive to class no later than 15 minutes prior to start time to check in at the studio.
- Your UConn ID or SRC Membership Card must be presented at time of participation and check-in.
- You may cancel your registration up to 1 hour prior to the class start time.
- Late entries are not permitted.
- Attendance is reviewed periodically and UConn Recreation reserves the right to suspend participants in violation of policies.
UConn Recreation facilities may not be used for private or commercial gain/purposes. Examples of prohibited activity include, but are not limited to: personal training; teaching private instruction; sales; and solicitation. Only UConn Recreation staff may conduct instruction.
For safety, personal hygiene, and to protect the facility/equipment, proper exercise attire is required at all times. Participants not wearing appropriate clothing or clothing found to be offensive will be told to adjust as needed or asked to leave the facility.
*Shirts: Upper body clothing should fully cover the back, shoulders, and torso. Cropped T-shirts and cropped tank tops are not permitted.
*Bottoms: Athletic-type apparel is required. Jeans, khakis, pants with metal zippers and/or metal rivets and belts are not permitted.
*Footwear: non-marking, rubber-soled athletic-type/sport shoes are required. Footwear must completely cover the foot, including instep, toes, arch and heel. Footwear not permitted includes, but is not limited to: high-heeled shoes, spikes, open-toed shoes, turf shoes, cleats, boots, flip-flops, and sandals. Exception: Bare feet and/or socks are acceptable for pool use and some group exercise classes.
*Swimwear: Appropriate swim wear is required. Sandals are recommended on the pool deck.
Beverages, Food, and Chewing Gum
Food and chewing gum is prohibited in all areas of the facility.
Water in closed, re-sealable plastic leak-proof containers, is allowed. All other drinks, protein supplements, and shakes are not permitted in the fitness centers.
Skateboards, scooters, and bikes are to be secured at the main entrance of the Student Recreation Facility in the designated areas.
Pets are not permitted inside the facility. Approved service animals are permitted in UConn Recreation facilities. See full policy here
- Participants requiring assistance or special considerations to participate in recreation activities or facilities should contact the UConn Recreation Customer Service Center at (860) 486-0002 (Advanced notice of at least 5 days is kindly requested).
- Participants with approved service animals are permitted in the Student Recreation Facility.
The University of Connecticut and UConn Recreation are not responsible for any loss/damage to personal property. In addition, they are also not responsible for illness/injury to person(s) relating to participation in UConn Recreation activities including the use of recreation facilities. It is recommended that patrons report stolen items to UConn Campus Police and the on-site UConn Recreation staff located at the Customer Service Center.
Personal belongings (coats, gym bags, back packs, etc.) are NOT permitted in activity areas. Please store and lock belongings in the locker rooms or store inside cubbies. Staff is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
Two locker rooms located on the first floor in the Student Recreation Center are available for participants. An additional, private gender neutral locker room area, is located centrally between.
Participants are requested to use the locker room appropriate to his/her gender.
Use of mobile technology is prohibited in locker room areas and will be strictly enforced.
Swim suits are the only clothing item to be placed in the water extractor located in the locker rooms. Directions for use of the extractor is attached to the equipment.
Warning: The floor surfaces in the locker room may become slippery when wet.
- Standing on or leaning over railings is prohibited.
- Spitting is prohibited on gym floors, walls, hallways and in drinking fountains.
- Facilities and equipment must be used for intended purposes only.
- Prior to using equipment, read the warning labels and instructions affixed to each machine.
- Intentional misuse of equipment and/or facility may result in immediate suspension of access privileges.
- Use of alarmed doors in non-emergency situations is subject to disciplinary action, including immediate removal and suspension from the UConn Recreation facilities/programs and further University discipline, if applicable.
- No equipment is to be removed from its designated area except by UConn Recreation staff.
- Participants are expected to clean the fitness equipment following each use. Cleaning towels and solutions are available.
- Personal headsets are welcome, but the use of radios/portable stereos or amplified sound is not permitted in the UConn Recreation facility.
Print, video and photographic inquiries must be approved prior to posting. All requests must be made formally via email to UConn Recreation.
Facility Closing Procedures
All areas should be vacated at the request of the UConn Recreation staff prior to closing on a nightly basis. Staff will provide reminders at thirty minutes and fifteen minutes prior to closing. Participants are requested to adhere to staff closing reminders to ensure a prompt closing schedule. All borrowed equipment should be returned to the equipment cage and all lockers should be emptied prior to closing.
- Re-rack all weight plates immediately after use
- Do not slam or drop free weights on the floor
- Return dumbbells to rack in weight order
- Use of clips/collars are mandatory on all lifts with Olympic bars
- Do not lean weights against walls, pillars, mirrors, glass or equipment.
- Spotters are recommended on all lifts
- Top loading additional weights onto existing weight stacks is prohibited.
- Wipe machines after use
- 30 min limit on all machines if others are waiting
- Shirts must cover entire torso
Guyer Gym/Greer Fieldhouse
- No dunking
- Patrons are not permitted to use ropes, mats, bars, or any other athletic equipment
- Sport specific equipment may be requested for set-up by UConn Recreation staff (badminton, pickleball)
- Patrons must complete an orientation prior to use- register at recregistration.uconn.edu
- A one year lapse of use of the Climbing Center will require participant to attend the user orientation prior to granting access
- Climbing shoes (provided) are required for use of the Climbing Center
- Pre-registration via the UConn Recreation website is required for participation in Group Fitness classes
- Group Fitness class registration opens 24 hours in advance of class start time
- Walk-ins are not allowed for Group Fitness classes
- If participants cannot attend a registered class, cancellation via online reservation is required 1 hour prior to class start time to avoid a ‘No-Show’
- Participants with a Bursar Hold, Immunization Hold, Invalid ID, or Rec Hold, will not be permitted to participate. A No-Show will be issued.
- Participants must shower prior to entering the pool
- Pool is for lap swimming. Participants are expected to share lanes as needed.
- Participants are not allowed on the pool deck unless supervised by UConn Recreation staff. The access doors will be opened when the area is safe for entry