UConn Recreation Policy Statement
Stated policies cannot account for the potential actions of all participants and in accounting for the possibilities presented therein, UConn Recreation reserves the right to prohibit any activity it deems inappropriate; potentially harmful to fellow patrons, facilities or equipment; or unsafe; and with no advance notice. Participants in facilities, programs or events sponsored by UConn Recreation are expected to adhere to all staff requests made under these circumstances, and failure to comply may result in loss of UConn Recreation privileges or university disciplinary action.
UConn Recreation reserves the right to modify policies and implement new guidelines to protect the safety and well-being of all participants. Patrons are responsible for understanding and adhering to all rules and regulations outlined by UConn Recreation. UConn Recreation reserves the right to take appropriate action to ensure the safety of all participants as well as the security of the facilities and program to mitigate risk. All policies outlined in the University of Connecticut Student Code of Conduct are recognized by UConn Recreation. Questions regarding a specific policy should be directed to a UConn Recreation staff member for clarification.
Facility and Program Access/Identification
- Participants are required to present a valid UConn One Card or UConn Rec Membership Card to obtain access to UConn Recreation facilities/programs, including the Student Recreation Center (SRC).
- UConn Rec members who do not possess a UConn One Card will be issued a UConn Rec Membership Card to allow for facility/program access.
- Patrons purchasing a UConn Rec membership, or guest pass for SRC access, must present valid photo identification.
- Misuse of the UConn One Card or UConn Rec Membership Card is prohibited, and will result in suspension from UConn Recreation facilities/programs, as well as potential further university discipline.
- Students with a Bursar Hold, Immunization Non-Compliance, or Recreation Suspension will not be permitted access to UConn Recreation facilities/programs.
- All participants must be 18 years or older.
Participation in physical activities/programs inherently includes potential risk of injury. UConn Recreation strives to create a safe environment for all participants. Participation in activities sponsored by or managed through UConn Recreation are voluntary. Participants assume liability for injuries incurred during participation in programs and/or services offered through UConn Recreation.
It is strongly recommended that all participants obtain medical clearance prior to initiating an exercise regimen or engaging in physical activity.
Participants are responsible to determine whether he/she has the proper fitness level to participate in activities sponsored by UConn Recreation.
All participants must read and sign a Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk before participating in UConn Recreation activities and programs.
Use of UConn Recreation facilities and program participation is a privilege. Members, participants and guests shall respect the rights of others and display appropriate behavior while participating in programs offered by UConn Recreation. UConn Recreation reserves the right to refuse access or remove any individual(s) whose behavior is inappropriate, disruptive, or in violation of University policy, UConn Recreation policies and/or the Student Code of Conduct.
UConn Recreation is committed to providing a safe environment for all members of the UConn community. Recreation staff will take appropriate action to eliminate inappropriate or disruptive behavior. Inappropriate or disruptive behavior may result in immediate removal or suspension from UConn Recreation programs as well as additional University discipline. If a participant, member or guest, is directed to leave a facility or program the following outcomes are expected:
- The participant will leave the facility immediately.
- UConn Recreation staff will place a minimum 24- hour suspension on the participant’s ID and
he/she is immediately ineligible for further access to any UConn Recreation program or
- UConn Recreation staff will schedule a meeting with the suspended participant to
determine further outcomes.
UConn Recreation defines inappropriate or disruptive behavior to include the following:
- Use of vulgar, obscene, abusive, or derogatory language.
- Use of profanity or obscene gestures or actions.
- Fighting and/or unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Physical violence including striking, pushing, kicking or hitting another participant.
- Exhibiting abusive behavior, either verbal or physical.
- Displaying overt sexual behavior.
- The possession, use and/or distribution of alcohol or drugs.
- Smoking, vaping and/or use of any tobacco products.
- Entering activity areas that are not open for public use, or entering private offices or restricted areas without permission.
- Damage to or destruction of any property of the University or property of other participants while on University premise.
- Possession of a weapon.
- Posing an unreasonable risk to the health or safety to others.
- Failure to follow established policies.
Group Fitness Attendance Policies
- Please arrive to class no later than 15 minutes prior to start time to check in at the studio.
- Your UConn ID or SRC Membership Card must be presented at time of participation and check-in.
- You may cancel your registration up to 1 hour prior to the class start time.
- Late entries are not permitted.
- Attendance is reviewed periodically and UConn Recreation reserves the right to suspend participants in violation of policies.
Inclement Weather and Closing Policy
- Group Fitness will follow all UConn closings and weather related cancellations. Please visit alert.uconn.edu for updates regarding cancellations or closings.
- No-Shows will not be issued to participants for closings initiated by UConn or Group Fitness.
Instructor and Class Substitution Policy
- Instructors are subject to change at any time as class coverage requires.
- Group Fitness will always strive to hold class formats as scheduled. In the event of last minute coverage requirements we reserve the right to modify or adjust a class format if needed.
UConn Recreation facilities may not be used for private or commercial gain/purposes. Examples of prohibited activity include, but are not limited to: personal training; teaching private instruction; sales; and solicitation. Only UConn Recreation staff may conduct instruction.
Participants are requested to wear appropriate sport or exercise clothing and footwear while utilizing the facilities operated and managed by UConn Recreation. Safety apparel and equipment associated with specific programs is required.
Bath and workout towels are available to all individuals with a valid Student Recreation Center membership at no additional charge. Towels are tracked and monitored by three 1st floor Towel Tracker kiosks located at Equipment Check, Men's Locker Room, and Women's Locker Room. Towel Tracker service is tied directly to your One Card or SRC-issued membership card.
Follow these simple steps to towel service:
- Scan your One Card or SRC Membership Card at any Towel Tracker kiosk
- Open the door and take a towel
- Following use, return towel to used bin at any Towel Tracker kiosk
- Towel service should not be shared. Towels are checked out under your ID and personally linked to your account.
- Towels must be returned the day of issue. Towels kept after the close of business the day of check-out are considered lost and subject to charges.
- Towels can only be returned to a Towel Tracker kiosk. Do not attempt to return towels to any other location than an active Towel Tracker.
- Please secure your towels. Towels lost or stolen while out under your account are subject to charges.
- Unreturned or damaged towels will be charged to the user at $10 per towel.
- Continued misuse of towel service will result in a loss of privileges.
Beverages, Food, and Chewing Gum
Food and chewing gum is prohibited in all areas of the facility.
Water in closed, re-sealable plastic leak-proof containers, is allowed. All other drinks, protein supplements, and shakes are not permitted in the fitness centers.
Skateboards, scooters, and bikes are to be secured at the main entrance of the Student Recreation Facility in the designated areas.
Pets are not permitted inside the facility. Approved service animals are permitted in UConn Recreation facilities. See full policy here
- Participants requiring assistance or special considerations to participate in recreation activities or facilities should contact the UConn Recreation Customer Service Center at (860) 486-0002 (Advanced notice of at least 5 days is kindly requested).
- Participants with approved service animals are permitted in the Student Recreation Facility.
The University of Connecticut and UConn Recreation are not responsible for any loss/damage to personal property. In addition, they are also not responsible for illness/injury to person(s) relating to participation in UConn Recreation activities including the use of recreation facilities. It is recommended that patrons report stolen items to UConn Campus Police and the on-site UConn Recreation staff located at the Customer Service Center.
Personal belongings (coats, gym bags, back packs, etc.) are NOT permitted in activity areas. Please store and lock belongings in the locker rooms or store inside cubbies. Staff is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
Two locker rooms located on the first floor in the Student Recreation Center are available for participants. An additional, private gender neutral locker room area, is located centrally between.
Participants are requested to use the locker room appropriate to his/her gender.
Use of mobile technology is prohibited in locker room areas and will be strictly enforced.
Swim suits are the only clothing item to be placed in the water extractor located in the locker rooms. Directions for use of the extractor is attached to the equipment.
Warning: The floor surfaces in the locker room may become slippery when wet.
- Standing on or leaning over railings is prohibited.
- Spitting is prohibited on gym floors, walls, hallways and in drinking fountains.
- Facilities and equipment must be used for intended purposes only.
- Prior to using equipment, read the warning labels and instructions affixed to each machine.
- Intentional misuse of equipment and/or facility may result in immediate suspension of access privileges.
- Use of alarmed doors in non-emergency situations is subject to disciplinary action, including immediate removal and suspension from the UConn Recreation facilities/programs and further University discipline, if applicable.
- No equipment is to be removed from its designated area except by UConn Recreation staff.
- Participants are expected to clean the fitness equipment following each use. Cleaning towels and solutions are available.
- Personal headsets are welcome, but the use of radios/portable stereos or amplified sound is not permitted in the UConn Recreation facility.
Print, video and photographic inquiries must be approved prior to posting. All requests must be made formally via email to UConn Recreation.
Facility Closing Procedures
All areas should be vacated at the request of the UConn Recreation staff prior to closing on a nightly basis. Staff will provide reminders at thirty minutes and fifteen minutes prior to closing. Participants are requested to adhere to staff closing reminders to ensure a prompt closing schedule. All borrowed equipment should be returned to the equipment cage and all lockers should be emptied prior to closing.
Fitness Zone / Area Policies
- Use of Chalk is prohibited in all Fitness Zones.
- Olympic Lifting (snatch, clean, power clean, power snatch, hang snatch, hang clean, clean/jerk) is strictly prohibited in all fitness zones. Push press and clean pulls are allowed as long as the weight is being re-racked and controlled throughout the entire movement.
- Power Lifting is only allowed in Zone 1, specifically in either the Power Rack or Platform area that states "UCONN REC."
- Re-rack all weight plates immediately after use
- Do not slam or drop free weights on the floor
- Return dumbbells to rack in weight order
- Use of clips/collars are mandatory on all lifts with Olympic bars
- Do not lean weights against walls, pillars, mirrors, glass or equipment
- Spotters are recommended on all lifts
- Top loading additional weights onto existing weight stacks is prohibited.
- Utilize the provided Gym Wipes to clean machines after use
- 30 min limit on all machines if others are waiting
SRC Courts /MAC Gym /Guyer Gym /Greer Fieldhouse
- No dunking
- Patrons are not permitted to use ropes, mats, bars, or any other athletic equipment
- Sport specific equipment may be requested for set-up by UConn Recreation staff (badminton, pickleball)
- Patrons must complete an orientation prior to use- register at recregistration.uconn.edu
- ID is required for access and for equipment checkout
- Proper climbing shoes are required for use of the Climbing Center and are available for checkout.
- Pre-registration via the UConn Recreation website is required for participation in Group Fitness classes
- Group Fitness class registration opens 24 hours in advance of class start time
- Walk-ins are not allowed for Group Fitness classes
- If participants cannot attend a registered class, cancellation via online reservation is required 1 hour prior to class start time to avoid a ‘No-Show’
- Participants with a Bursar Hold, Immunization Non-Compliance, Invalid ID, or Rec Hold, will not be permitted to participate. A No-Show will be issued.
- Participants must shower prior to entering the pool.
- Pool is for lap swimming. Participants are expected to share lanes as needed.
- Participants are not allowed on the pool deck unless supervised by UConn Recreation staff. The access doors will be opened when the area is safe for entry